Careers at Ascent Technology
We are looking for intelligent, motivated, responsible people who enjoy working in small collaborative teams. Positions currently available:
We offer challenging work, competitive salaries, and outstanding benefits, including medical, dental, life, and disability coverage, and a 401K retirement savings plan. To apply, send a copy of your resume, accompanied by a cover letter describing why you are a good fit for the position and your salary expectation, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ascent Technology, Inc., is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are looking for a highly qualified and motivated Database Architect and Manager, to manage Ascent’s ARIS/SmartBase® database, which supports Ascent’s resource-management products.
The Database Architect and Manager is responsible for managing, extending, and documenting the database schema. He or she is responsible for managing changes made to the ARIS/SmartBase database at Ascent and for managing releases of the database installed at customer locations or hosted by Ascent.
The Database Architect and Manager is responsible for the development and support of a new data warehouse, including the schema level and the data transfer layer. He or she is responsible for report generation for the new data warehouse. He or she must also implement a new ad-hoc reporting strategy by selecting and embedding a third-party tool within the Ascent reporting infrastructure.
The Database Architect and Manager operates with a high degree of personal responsibility and self-motivation, under minimal supervision.
- Manage the ARIS/SmartBase database schema, such as extending, upgrading, tuning, optimizing, and maintaining the database as needed to achieve efficient and reliable performance. Document the database schema.
- Create and maintain scripts to upgrade databases and to transfer data from older database versions to newer database versions
- Create, configure, size, and merge databases for customers, tuning as needed to ensure high performance
- Develop database procedures and triggers to provide server-level functionality for tasks that are executed more effectively in the database than in the web server or the client program
- Design, develop, and implement archive scripts
- Develop and implement change-management procedures
- Establish written policies and procedures for database management, security, maintenance, and use
- Develop and implement procedures for managing ARIS/SmartBase databases installed at customer locations
- Collaborate and interact with Ascent marketing, sales, development, project management, and support staff to ensure the ARIS/SmartBase database schema handles the needs of new products, enhanced products, and customers
- Design, create, and maintain reports using the Jasper Reports reporting tool
- Design and manage the ETL process to populate the data warehouse
- Develop the ad-hoc reporting strategy and embed a reporting tool in the Ascent reporting environment.
- Install, upgrade, and patch Oracle at Ascent and at customer locations
- Configure, back-up, and optimize Oracle cluster installations
- Develop a strategy for migrating customer databases hosted by Ascent and internal Ascent databases to the cloud (Amazon RDS) with limited service interruption
- Train customer system administrators to administer the ARIS/SmartBase database and to handle problems that may occur
- Respond to and resolve requests from Ascent’s customer-support team.
Representative education, experience, and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a closely related field, or equivalent education and experience.
- Advanced training in Oracle database technology, the ERwin data modeller tool or a similar tool, and the Jasper Reports reporting tool.
- 5 years of database architect and management experience
- Excellent knowledge of database architecture, administration, programming, and systems-analysis procedures
- Excellent knowledge of Oracle database software, Oracle management and monitoring tools, ERwin data modeller, and Jasper Reports (preferably) or Crystal Reports
- Ability to communicate accurately, clearly, and effectively in person, in writing, over the telephone and in remote sessions
- Ability to remain calm during stressful situations
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making, time management, and organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing requirements and environments
- Ability to work productively with members of Ascent’s development, support, sales and marketing, and management teams
- Excellent planning, interpersonal, management, and organizational skills
- Excellent time management, communications, decision-making, and presentation skills
- Willingness to develop an excellent understanding of Ascent’s products
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively in small teams
We are looking for a highly qualified and motivated Development Engineer, Web systems, to work collaboratively and collegially with a small team of software developers in Cambridge, MA, to design, implement, and maintain web-based resource-management products from product conceptualization through alpha-, beta- and production-release stages. An ideal candidate is able to develop and analyze complicated software and algorithms that require high levels of concentration for extended periods of time.
- Conceptualize, design, implement, repair, and maintain complex resource-management software through alpha-, beta-, and production-release phases of development
- Produce specifications and other documents as needed
- Participate in product design and implementation discussions
- Coordinate smooth transitions of products from the Development team to the Quality Assurance, Product Implementation, and Customer Support teams
- Research and understand marketing and customer requirements for products, such as target environments, performance criteria, and competitive issues
- Understand current and future technology trends.
Representative education, experience, and skills
- MS degree in computer science, or BS degree in computer science or a related engineering field and an equivalent amount of professional experience
- A minimum of 5 years of experience designing and developing commercial software products, preferably large analytical or AI-based software products
- A minimum of 3 years of deep programming experience with the Java® programming language
- Experience with the following technologies preferred: Oracle, Apache Struts, HTML, JSP, and SQL
- A minimum of 3 years of experience handling commercial web site performance, tuning, and high availability issues
- Excellent understanding of software development methodologies, design, and implementation, including documentation, version control, and build-release tools and procedures
- Excellent analytical, design (particularly intuitive user interfaces), and programming skills
- Ability to provide technical guidance to and share expertise with colleagues in the use of new tools and technologies, such as the use of open-source environments in particular
- Strong awareness of how business issues affect project plans
- Strong commitment to deliver high-quality work products on schedule and within budget
- Excellent time management, communication, decision-making, organizational, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Ability to work productively in a small developer team and to interact effectively with marketing, sales, quality-assurance, product-implementation and customer-support teams.